Inspiration: Elinor Carucci

 My inspiration for my project assignment is Elinor Carucci. Carucci is an Israeli-American fine art photographer who is best known for her published monographs such as Diary of a Dancer (2005), Mother (2013), and Midlife (2019). It is because of these works done by her that got her awarded the ICP Infinity award from the Guggenheim Fellowship and solo shows in places such as Edwynn Houk Gallery and James Hyman in London. Carucci has made her name around the world and has projects up in The Museum of Modern Art New York, The Brooklyn Museum of Art, Houston museum of Fine Art, New York Times Magazine, ARTnews and many more other publications. with her extensive resume, Carucci was also a professor at Princeton University and has continued teaching at School of Visual Art.

The reason why I chose Carucci as my inspiration is because in her projects, Carucci strikes me as a confident, assertive, creative, open, and honest person. With each picture you know it required for her and her subjects to be open to the concept of the shoot, they needed to be honest with themselves especially because they are being exposed physically, and they also needed to be creative in process of the shoot. Carucci exemplified confidence by not only posing herself in front of the camera, but by having other subject matters in the picture and most of the time those subjects were family. Carucci has some images with her children, her father, or her birthing scars, her lover and more. 

One thing I would say Carucci did amazing at was capturing the rawness in each photo. With each picture you can see the authenticity, the realness, the bumps and bruises, the tears, the eye bags, and more. She did a great job in capturing the beauty and life of each moment which also tells a story. I can also say that I was inspired by the fact that she did include people in her photo series. I think that this made the project more real. Seeing others in vulnerable state and finding comfort in that awkwardness is a talent. With these aspects, I went into my project with the idea that my images will be nude, I won't show face like her, but I will show body parts, motion, and sensuality. 

Some things I did different from Carucci was that I didn't keep my images in color, instead I made them black and white. For the purpose of my project and the idea of vulnerability that I was going for, I think black and white would do a better job at capturing the sensitivity in movement, body language, and expression. Carucci did her series mostly in color and I think this gives a raw feel to the images. I also focused on the body parts so a lot of my images are close-ups instead of full body. In my images, I hope to tell a story from being alone to have two people together. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carrie Mae Weems