Matthew Brandt
Matthew Brandt is an iconic photographer who uses 19th century photography, specifically film photography as his source when creating his amazing images. In class, I learned that many of his post-production is done on a large scale and he also does something unique by incorporating materials found in the environment he took his image at to distort the photo but to give it its final look.
In an art piece named Vatnajökull, Brandt was able to capture images of the largest ice cap in Iceland. From his images, Brandt used chromogenic printing which is image containing 3 layers of gelatin. The layers also contain organic dyes such as cyan, magenta, and yellow. Brandt added heat and fire to the images before he separated them into 3 layers and then compressed them onto an image. From this process, the outcome is a 3-D image giving the sense of being there to actually experience it.
This image specifically really blew me away. There is a holographic feel to the piece, as if it is coming out to me but I know I can't touch it. The image also gives me an enticing and kaleidoscope feel. The colors and vibrancy but also the scale that Brandy displayed his piece is amazing. I feel like whenever I close my eyes and I see bright colors, this is how it would look. The image itself his both warm yet chilling but it also captivates. It makes me want to be there in Iceland.
Comments
Post a Comment